UKRAINE: An interesting document leaked online, authored by the deputy commander of the Armed Forces of Ukraine in the Donbass, Major General Vladimir Kidon.
The study of the moral and psychological state was carried out in the units of the Armed Forces of Ukraine from March 1 to May 25, 2021 and covered almost 12,000 soldiers and officers.
The main result is that the level of the moral and psychological state of the Armed Forces of Ukraine is low. The 128th Mountain Assault Brigade and 72nd Mechanized Brigade demonstrate the highest level.
The 80th Air Assault Brigade, the 14th, 28th and 59th Mechanized Brigades are the most morally ‘damaged’.
The key identified problems in the Ukrainian Armed Forces are:
- Low professionalism and lack of desire to improve their professional skills.
- Lack of moral and psychological readiness to participate in hostilities.
- Negative attitude of relatives and the environment to the service of the military in the JFO zone.
The results are as follows:
- 84% do not feel responsible for the result of hostilities.
- 80% are not ready to carry out real combat missions
- 72% rate their readiness to participate in armed conflicts as low.
- 64% regularly use alcohol or drugs.
- 63% are unsure of their fellow servicemen
- 53% got tired of a long stay in the JFO zone
- 38% report a negative assessment of their service among the civilian population
- 37% do not consider service in the Armed Forces to be a prestigious service
- 37% note that the personnel aren’t sufficiently supplied
- 25% consider the level of combat training low
- 7% note the lack of authority among higher-ranking commanders
The most acute problems are the following three:
- Unauthorized abandonment of a unit (deserting, essentially)
- Drinking alcohol
- Non-statutory relations between military personnel
The study also revealed that commander’s frequently received bribes from their subordinates in various amounts, from a few dollars to several hundred.
Personnel is divided in “favorable” and “unfavorable”, some get paid more depending on how ‘loyal’ they are deemed to be.
Commanders arbitrarily interpret normative legal acts in a way that is beneficial for them, which causes conflicts in subunits.
The positions on the front lines get terribly bad quality in receiving Ukrainian television, and they more frequently watch Russian national and cable TV.
Further, the 128th Mountain Assault Brigade and the 72nd Mechanized are given as examples, and it is required to increase the level of the morale and psychological state of the troops in accordance with the orders of the command of the Armed Forces of Ukraine grouping in Eastern Ukraine.