Aaah… Les grenouilles. The frogs.
During the 19th century, several experiments were performed to observe the reaction of frogs to slowly heated water.
- In 1869, while doing experiments searching for the location of the soul, German physiologist Friedrich Goltz demonstrated that a frog that has had its brain removed will remain in slowly heated water, but an intact frog attempted to escape the water when it reached 25 °C.
- An 1872 experiment by Heinzmann was said to show that a normal frog would not attempt to escape if the water was heated slowly enough, which was corroborated in 1875 by Fratscher.
- In 1888, William Thompson Sedgwick said that the apparent contradiction between the results of these experiments was a consequence of different heating rates used in the experiments: “The truth appears to be that if the heating be sufficiently gradual, no reflex movements will be produced even in the normal frog; if it be more rapid, yet take place at such a rate as to be fairly called ‘gradual’, it will not secure the response of the normal frog under any circumstances”. In one experiment the temperature was raised at a rate of 0.002°C per second, and the frog was found dead at the end of 2½ hours without having moved.
The story has been retold many times and used to illustrate widely varying viewpoints. Among them: in 1960 about sympathy towards the Soviet Union during the Cold War; in 1980 about the impending collapse of civilization anticipated by survivalists; in the 1990s about inaction in response to climate change and staying in abusive relationships.
It has also been used by libertarians to warn about slow erosion of civil rights…
Of course, the frog-story is officially fake news. And if you use it you are guilty of spreading misinformation. Because according to modern scientists, the frogs will indeed jump out if the water gets hot enough.
One can only hope…but by then it will be too late. Because the frogs might then want to jump out, but they’ll find there’s nowhere to go – their natural habitat will have been destroyed and there will be nothing to eat. The only choice the frogs will have then is to line up and kneel down in front of the python and pray it’s not about to become brunch.
Something Joe Biden knows all about.
And soon, so will the 20,000 French who rushed out to get vaxxed after president Macron threatened that malls, trains, supermarkets and restaurants will be out of bounds to the unvaccinated.
And everyone who is opening their doors wide to the friendly vax people who come a’knockin in the USSA and Kanada.
More about the world’s smart and stupid frogs in today’s video from a wet and cool Mexico. Also why you shouldn’t worry your “neo-nazi altright” little head about rapid inflation causing prices to rise, because trusted Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen expects the recent startling inflation run to ease over time…
Lucy’s tips for today:
- Get out of the boiling water.
- Go private.
- Never eat frog legs on your tacos.
And always remember: A government, at bottom, is nothing more than a gang of men, and as a practical matter most of them are inferior men … Government is actually the worst failure of civilized man. There has never been a really good one, and even those that are most tolerable are arbitrary, cruel, grasping and unintelligent. Indeed, it would not be far wrong to describe the best as the common enemy of all decent citizens.
— H. L. Mencken